Ypres Castle is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Rye. It was built in 1250 by Roger of Savoy. The castle was later sold to John d' Ypres around 1430, from whom, it takes its present name.
One of Ypres Castle early uses was as a prison. The courtyard, now planted as a medieval garden, was the women prisoners exercise yard. Originally prisoners were kept 5 to a cell, male and female prisoners together. Later it was found that separating male and female prisoners was worked better. The castle currently houses part of the Rye town museum.
These are constantly being revised, please call the Ypres Castle Museum for the latest details.
Members enjoy special benefits please call for details.
Rye Museum runs over two sites both of which are steeped in history, be sure to ask about the tunnels.
Access is not a problem to the museum and electric vehicles can get around the Castle and Gun Gardens.