Enjoy a family guided tour around this historic castle built by Henry VIII. Camber Castle lies between Rye and Winchelsea. The ruin of an unusually unaltered artillery fort designed to guard the port of Rye. There are monthly guided walks round Rye Harbour Nature Reserve, including the castle and local farm.
Between 1512 and 1514 Sir Edward Guldeford built a circular tower to defend the harbour. This tower was incorporated into a new fort which was built between 1539 and 1544. It was expanded to become a symmetrical artillery fort. The original tower was augmented with four outer towers linked by an octagonal wall concealing a covered passage. Part of this construction was directed by Stefan von Haschenperg. Finally, four large D-shaped bastions serving as gun platforms were placed in front of the earlier towers. As the shoreline receded south the height of the central tower was raised in order to maintain the range of the castle's cannon. However by the end of the 16th century the silting of the Camber made the castle largely obsolete and in 1637 it was abandoned. It is now owned by English Heritage after being taken over by the state in 1967. It opened to the public in 1994 after the walls were re-pointed in order to stabilise them. There are guided walks round Rye Harbour Nature Reserve most months in the summer, which include the castle and local farm; but it is best to call before visiting to check that it is open. It is managed by Rye Harbour Nature Reserve.
This is an English Heritage site.
Very close to Rye and Winchelsea both ancient Cinque Ports offering more than a few really enjoyable days of interest and intrigue.
Access is via a footpath and electric vehicles can get around most areas of the Castle and Grounds but please do not arrive without first speaking with the organisers.